After reading this chapter, you should know . . .
- How the director blocks talent, marks a script, and handles other preparation.
- The nature of pre-studio, floor, and control room rehearsals.
- How the AD uses a timing sheet and handles talent timing cues.
- The difference between program time and body time.
- Principles related to calling commands appropriately.
- The long shot, medium shot, close-up pattern.
- Placement of cameras.
- Aesthetic principles related to cutting ratio, shot similarity, position jumps, and the axis of action.
- The use of transitions such as cuts, dissolves, fades, defocusing, wipes, and digital effects.
- The proper timing of transitions.
- How the director interacts with cast and crew.
On Set Exercises
Key Terms List